Confessions of a decorator: Taking Risks & our navy blue master bedroom

Thursday, October 16, 2014

This is a true story, about someone who can walk into a room and make design decisions for anyone else without second thought.
Eh ehmm.
I can pretty much tell you what a room needs to have changed and added to make it feel complete & beautiful.

But, then I get to my house and I kinda freeze up.
It's the weirdest thing. I've literally been debating on a bedroom color for our master for a year.
A YEAR. I mean really. Why was it so scary to me?
Probably because I was really set on changing the feel completely to something completely against today's design grain. 
Everyone out there is all like, "Paint all the things white!" And I'm over here like, "I just need something saturated in my life!"
I like white, light, airy.. but color is not a bad thing either.
I have been LOVING all the navy blue accents that are starting to show up in the home accessory world. I knew I wanted navy blue in my house, and something more than an end table or a vase.

Then there was the part that nearly EVERYONE who saw the patch sample of deep navy on my wall nearly freaked out. 
What if it was a cave.
What if I hated it.
What if I ever wanted to change the color.
What if it took 5 bajillion coats of primer to cover my DARK PERMANENT mistake!
What if a future buyer of my house HATES it.
Let me tell you, that future, nonexistent, made-up, home buyer was the one who stopped me dead in my tracks the most.
I mean this isn't our forever house, so I'll have to sell it someday


Then I thought really, how dumb! Just do it Jenna! 
So I did. And I am SO thrilled with the color. It is the perfect shade of Navy. It has a LOT of pretty grey tones to it so it's not too "blue" if you know what I mean.


I pretty much have all the bedding I've been considering on the bed in these pictures. Of course it's TOO busy but it's all part of the process.
Rooms don't just pop out pretty like I think the blog world leads people to believe.

Of course the duvet will get filled with an insert if I permit it to stay. And maybe even some pretty trim added onto it.
It's all part of the process. I've been living with these linens just to see how I REALLY like them. Ya know what I mean?


I've been gathering pretty things for the walls and I am about done I just need to make some artwork for the walls. And edit the bedding selection.
I can't wait to show you how this space ends up.

So  moral of the story is sometimes you need to stop second guessing yourself, and take that risk in your house to make you completely happy. Not everything is about resale. And sometimes you know better than the current trending colors. Break that mold & just do it! 

The paint color is Relaxed Navy by Valspar.